Nepal Sanskrit University is also known as Mahendra Sanskrit University, it was established in 1986. It is located at Belijhundi, Dang. NSU offers intermediate of Uttar Madhyama, bachelor of Sanskrit, masters of Acharya, and Doctoral courses in classical and modern subjects. Nepal Sanskrit University has 13 affiliated campuses and 12 constituents around the country. They also offer their students with degree and nondegree research works based on the Sanskrit language and also organize Buddhist teachings.
Inspired by the long unbroken tradition of Sanskrit in Nepal, the university was established for the following purposes:
- To fulfill the need for an autonomous institution for teaching/learning activities and research of Sanskrit at many levels.
- To systematize Sanskrit education up to the highest level in the country.
- To preserve and promote Sanskrit education in sectors of Nepalese society.
- To develop Nepal into a center for learning through Sanskrit education. NSU offers facilities for degree and non-degree research works based in Sanskrit. It organizes training programs on Vedic and Buddhist teaching and Yoga training.
Some NSU affiliated colleges are as follows
- Valmiki Vidyapeeth, Kathmandu
- Pindeshwori Vidhyapeeth, Sunsari
- Janata Vidhyapeeth, Dang District, Bijapur
- Bishow Bidhalaya Vidhyapeeth, Dang
- National Ayurved Vidyapeeth, Dang
- Kalika Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Nawalpur
- Harihar Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Argakhanchi
- Sharada Vidyapeeth, Kanchanpur
- BPK Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Solukhumbu
- Bhanu Sanskrit Vidhyapeeth, Tanahun
- Vindabashini Vidhyapeeth, Kaski
- YaLaNa Vidyapeeth, Mahottari
- RuRu Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Gulmi
- Janakhajari Vidyapeeth, Dhanusha